Saturday, January 4, 2014

Happy Trails to You

Sterling and I love to give each other dates as gifts. It's more personal than a shirt or watch. Since we love experiencing different things together, I thought it would be a fun adventure to go horseback riding together. I'm not a very gifted secret keeper, so Sterling figured out where we were going when I kept talking about how horseback riding together would be fun.

I found an adorable place about an hour north of DFW called Black Mustang Ranch. Black Mustang Ranch is right next to a precious resort overlooking a lake. It is rustic and peaceful. I had purchased a picnic ride, which was an hour and half of riding and a 30 minute picnic while on the ride. There are a lot of different packages you can purchase at different price points, but this seemed to fit us well.

As we approached the stable, our guide met us out front and assessed our experience level, giving us horses that met that level. Sterling rode Bailey, and they became quick friends. I had the pleasure of riding Snowball.





Both horses knew the trail well, and we never felt nervous that we were inexperienced. Our guide strapped our brown bag lunch we brought onto the back of the horses, and we started on the trail. When it came time for the picnic, our guide brought us to this open area in the woods, tied up our horses and walked down the trail so that Sterling and I could have some time to ourselves. It was so peaceful just sitting in the woods and eating lunch together.


Our favorite part of the date was the simple fact that we got to take a couple of hours of our day to just enjoy each other and look at the beauty in North Texas. We went riding the week after the huge ice storm in Dallas, so remnants of snow were still left on the ground. We loved getting out of the city, and just enjoying the beauty of the woods.


We would love to go back and ride again sometime and would highly recommend using Black Mustang Ranch for a fun afternoon date. Happy trails to you!


2 comments:

  1. I love the idea behind this blog. Love it! So much so that I want to subscribe to it, but I can't find the button to click or whatever. How do I do that? We don't get many afternoon dates, so horseback riding may be difficult for us, but I look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ryan! Thank you for your comment! I added a "follow by email" option so you can get our posts right to your email.

      Delete